Categories
Blog

Are Microwave Ovens Safe?

Are Microwaves Safe or Dangerous?

Microwave ovens came into being during the 1960s. To everyone, a new and easier way of reheating, defrosting, and cooking food had been invented.

However, being priced at $2000, only a few could afford it at that time.

Today, the microwave has become so popular that you’ll find it in almost every home.

But like most modern appliances, microwave ovens are not all good and no bad.

If you have one in your home or are considering getting one, you must learn as much as you can about it.

Are microwaves really a safer and better alternative to other cooking methods?

Keep reading to find out how much potential danger your microwave could be causing.

What is a Microwave?

Being a kind of electromagnetic radiation, microwaves are very high-frequency radio waves. There are various kind of microwaves in the market like grill, convection, counter top, built in combination microwave (get product ideas on Geartogo) etc.

These waves are useful for a variety of functions, such as enabling telephone and television telecommunications and for the production of different products.

The most common way that microwaves are useful within homes Is through microwave ovens.

There are two subdivisions of radiation: Ionizing and non-ionizing radiation.:

Characteristics of Ionizing Radiation

  • It has short wavelengths
  • Can be used for gamma-ray and x-ray technology
  • Gives high energy
  • They can destroy molecular structures, especially with high doses

Characteristics of Non-Ionizing Radiation

  • Has longer wavelengths
  • Produces low energy
  • Cannot break chemical bonds
  • Is often utilized for microwave technology

How Does a Microwave Oven Work?

When you switch on a microwave oven, the unit starts to produce microwaves, which are then distributed around the oven’s interior.

This is possible because of the presence of a stirrer fan. The food begins to absorb the waves as the waves reflect off the wall of metal surrounding the unit’s interior.

These waves can penetrate materials that are formed from paper, plastic, glass, or ceramic. This way, the wave will not destroy the container but still reach the food and cook it.

Are Microwave ovens Safe?

The microwave oven is safe to use in any home as long as they’re used correctly.

Manufacturers always include guidelines with the oven, and you must follow these guidelines if you want to use the appliance safely and effectively. Microwave ovens can defrost, heat, and even cook food.

If you wish to minimize nutrient loss and other risks that come with using a microwave oven, follow the tips below.

  • Choose Your Container Well

There are such things as microwave-safe containers. These containers are made from a material that doesn’t contain water and is thus safe to put inside a microwave oven.

Anything metal is a NO NO as it can easily cause a fire. While microwaves support plastic, any plastic container with phthalates or BPA is not recommended because heat can cause these toxic chemicals to melt into your food.

  • Keep it in The Best Condition

Microwaves are made in such a way that the waves are contained within the oven’s interior.

However, if your unit is dirty, old, or ill-maintained, microwave energy may eventually start to leak.

Thankfully, thermal damage tends to happen only after extensive exposure at extremely high levels.

  • Exercise Care to Prevent Heat Damage or Injury

What you need to worry about the most when dealing with a microwave oven is fire, or at least, burns.

Like everything exposed to heat, your food becomes very hot when you’ve just microwaved it.

However, if you don’t handle the food carefully, you can easily burn yourself.

Plus, if you leave something like popcorn unattended to for a while in your oven, it can eventually lead to a fire outbreak.

Make sure to be careful when using your microwave.

  • Food Safety

Microwave ovens do not make the nutrients in your food become less. Still, food may not always come out perfect.

Often, the problem lies in the fact that the food quantity is too much or the product too thick for the oven’s capacity. The food may end up getting ruined.